Saturday, March 26, 2011

The boat guest has come and gone. I won't steal his thunder because he promised to write about his week aboard Alibi. I will say this, we really enjoyed his stay and if all guests are as great as Jim - we invite all of you down ( in groups of 2 or less of course). Thanks for a great time, Jim!!

We left George Town in the rearview mirror as soon as the weather allowed (way too much chatter on the radio). We sailed to Conception Island (wonder why it's not cay). It is much smaller, uninhabited and NE of Great Exuma. Stayed a couple of days trying to catch/kill some food from Mother Ocean but no luck. They all lived to tell their children and grandchildren of the great white (in a black wetsuit) hunter with the long spear and poor aim. 

So we left yesterday and motor sailed to Rum Cay. It is the most beautiful island I have seen. The water drops quickly to depths unimaginable and so many colors of blue as I have ever seen. 

The people here in the Bahamas are some of the friendliest and happiest I have ever seen. Always ready with a smile and a wave hello. It reminds me of being in TX where you wave at every passing car!

I have been honing my culinary skills on this cruise. I made my first tamales ever. We have had meals from stir fry to fried rice to lasagna and of course the fresh Mahi-Mahi (we have caught a couple).  I thought I was going to lose weight with the extra activity associated with sailing - HA. 

The no-seeums got to us last evening and this morning pretty bad. We are talking of moving on to San Salvador soon. And making our way to Cat Island and Eluthera next. We stayed last night in Sumner Point Marina and I had Internet (off and on) all night so I didn't sleep much. I admit it - I'm a junkie!!  While we were sitting here this morning, a pretty good sized spotted eagle ray glided under our boat and back down the canal toward the ocean - spectacular!!!

2 comments:

  1. Darrell, Ann, and Roxy:

    Really enjoying following your travels! Keep the postings coming - We're only a 12 hour drive north of you (if that were possible), and we track your route on "Google Earth." It's the best we can do for now -diving season is still six weeks away up here! All the best,

    Dean and Patt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had the opportunity for a dinner at the marina at Sumner Point. When Skip, Sandy and I were there we got one of the finest meals at the most reasonable price in the Caribbean. He fed us until we cried "Uncle." I had never had Wahoo and now it is my new favorite fish. Watch out for the fishing between Rum Cay and San Salvador and then back to Cat Island, it is there that Sandy hooked a Blue Marlin and almost landed it on spinning tackle. Good Times.

    Jerry and Sandy

    ReplyDelete